Instant pot quick vegetable-filled khichuri

This is a really simple, quick to prepare khichuri recipe perfect for the instant pot.  I like to hide a lot of vegetables in it, since you really can't taste them.  Note: it is important to wash all daals and grains before putting them in the instant pot because the excess starch can clog your valve otherwise.

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup washed/rinsed kalijira rice (for the smell and taste of good ole kalijira rice)
  • 3/4 cup washed/rinsed regular rice of your choice
    • tbh you can use any kind of rice you want to use.  I like to mix these two for the variety, but it definitely isn't necessary.
  • 1/2 cup washed/rinsed daal of your choice (I like to do 1/4 cup masoor and 1/4 cup chana)
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 heaping tsp cumin seeds
  • 1-2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 tsp salt
  • Vegetables of your choice: I like to use 2-3 handfuls of frozen cauliflower, 2 handfuls of frozen peas, and finely chopped carrots.  I can imagine you can also use spinach or green beans, though I haven't tried those yet.  The nice things about cauliflower and carrots is that they blend in with the rice itself, so you don't even see them in the final result!  It looks like nice khichuri with some peas cooked in.  The vegetables make the rice more mushy, but I honestly don't mind.  It tastes really good, and I know I'm getting in some veggies.
Directions:
  1. Sauté on more heat.  Add the butter.  When melted, add the cumin seeds.  Mix for a minute or two.
  2. Add the rice and daal.  Then add the water.  Do this quickly so the bottom doesn't brown and the rice doesn't start sticking.
  3. Add the turmeric and salt.  Then add your vegetables.  Mix well.
  4. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes.  Natural release if you want, though I never do. Mix the result together well, breaking up and mixing the cauliflower/vegetables with the remaining rice well.  

Comments

Popular Posts